How to answer, Where do you see yourself in next 5 years ?
This is a tricky question that often asked by interviewers, he may also ask similar/related questions are as:
- What are your long-term career goals?
- What is your ideal job at this stage in your career?
- What are you looking for?
- How do you define success?
- What’s most important to you in your career?
First, you have to understand why do Interviewers ask this and what they really mean?
The interviewer wants to know how passionate, ambitious and proactive you are for this position and would your career goal fit with this position as they want to hire someone who is likely to stay for long time.
Company invests money and time in hiring and training new people. Hiring managers don’t want to hire you if they come to know that you are already planning to leave for something better as soon as it comes along.
| Recommended: Tips For Professional Resume Writing
So how will you answer about “Where do you see yourself in five years?”
Now you know what exactly interviewers want to know. Take a long breath and answer what exactly interviewers want to know, describe your long terms goals with company and ensure them you are fit for the job. Now I am sharing some tips that will help to outline your answer in right and effective manner
- Show that you are excited for this position.
- Tell your long term career goals with company.
- Try to keep your answer simple and fair. Interviewers don’t have interest in your 5years detailed plan regarding promotion within the company.
- Don’t give overconfident and stupid answers like in next 5 year I will be CEO or something like this.
- Don’t be confused, like may be entrepreneur or may be in top MBA college or don’t know. Such type of answers will create negative impact as it shows that you don’t have any career goals in your life.
- Don’t reply like “Hmmmm.” And, “Ummmm.” Or, “That’s hard to say.”
Take a look on examples below and create yours good and relevant answer.
Example 1 :
In next 5 years,I would be CEO of the company. I always plan to claw my way to the top!
Above answer is not the right way as this shows your Overconfidence, which may create negative impact on interviewers.
Example 2 :
In next five year, I want to work in a renowned organization where I can build a strong and stable career.
Such type of answers give a strong reason to interviewers to reject you because this show you are looking for some better opportunity and planning to leave for something better as soon as it comes along.
Example 3 :
In next five year hmm…it’s hard to say or I don’t know
This types of answer shows lack of confidence and lack of interest towards the work you will be designated.
Example 4 :
In next five years, I want to build strong management skills and want to work on big projects. Would like to complete internal training that helps me to become a project manager in this company.
The Above answer is good because it is simple and realistic and shows that you are excited, zealous and have long term goals with company.
Hope this article help you to create your perfect answer. If you need any kind of help related to career feel free to mail us at [email protected]
Best of luck !